My Cat Has Blood in Urine
If you find your pet cat is urinating bloody pee, immediately rush to an expert vet,
Blood in a cat’s urine can either be
- Gross – This is an observable symptom causing reddish urine or urine that is streaked with blood
- Microscopic – This is blood in urine that is only observable under the microscope
Causes of Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine can be a symptom of something very serious.
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Bladder Infection
- Vaginal Infection in Female Cats
- Urinary Stones
- Certain Forms of Urinary Cancer
Cat Blood in Urine Diagnosis
- Urinalysis – This is done to determine the number of blood cells in the urine. Microscopic blood in urine is often diagnosed using this method.
- Physical Exam
- Medical History
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Imaging Studies – X-rays and CT Scans
Symptoms Associated With Blood in Urine
Blood in urine may also be associated with other symptoms including
- Abdominal pain
- Pain When Urinating
- Increased Urination Frequency
Cat Blood in Urine Home Remedy and Treatment
Treating this symptom depends on what is causing it. Once it has been indentified, vets may prescribe the following treatments.
- Antibiotics – given when the symptom is caused by an infection
- Fluid Therapy – Given to cats that are dehydrated
- Diet Changes – Prescribed when the symptom is caused by urinary stones
- Detoxification – Done when symptom is caused by poisoning
Again, blood in urine is a serious symptom and cats showing it must be taken to the veterinarian immediately.
Owners may also do something to help prevent this symptom in cats. This includes
- Changing dry kibble to canned or wet kibble – This helps to add the animal’s fluid intake
Better Grooming – This helps to keep bacteria from getting into the urinary tract