Why Cat is Lethargic and Not Eating
- Dental problems or abscessed (Read how to treat a cat abscess ) mouth can cause a lack of energy in pets and they may lose their desire to eat because of the pain.
- A cat can simply be depressed because of a change in environment or a new move.
- Another reason a cat is lethargic, or could be, is because a new cat has entered the picture suddenly as a member of his family.
- Underlying medical conditions can be responsible for why a cat is lethargic and not eating.
- Lethargy can indicate anemia, cardiac abnormalities, cancer, nutritional disorders, and a multitude of other conditions
Treatments When Cat is Lethargic and Not Eating or Drinking
- Feed with a syringe if the cat refuses to get at least one can of food in his system through the day. You can purchase lactose free milk and baby foods of meat products to force feed small amounts frequently.
- Give the juice of cans of tuna packed in water.
- Give fresh water or unflavored sports drinks if your cat has quit drinking. Ice cold liguids may help ease the pain.
When to Seek Medical Help
- If a cat lethargy and appetite are down for more than 24 hours, do not ignore the situation.
- Also read what causes bladder cancer in dogs
- Certainly if your cat is not eating in 2 days and remains weak and somewhat disinterested in normal activities, seek medical help and have the cat seen as soon as possible.
- A cat who does not eat for even as little as 2 days can begin developing fatty liver syndrome where they start to break down fats stored in the liver.
- Lethargy and not eating can be a fatal situation with the cats liver shutting down from overwork (Read more about enlarged liver in cats ).