Why Cat is Lethargic and Not Eating
- Dental problems or abscessed (Read how to treat a cat abscess ) mouth can cause a lack of energy in pets and they may lose their desire to eat because of the pain.
- A cat can simply be depressed because of a change in environment or a new move.
- Another reason a cat is lethargic, or could be, is because a new cat has entered the picture suddenly as a member of his family.
- Underlying medical conditions can be responsible for why a cat is lethargic and not eating.
- Lethargy can indicate anemia, cardiac abnormalities, cancer, nutritional disorders, and a multitude of other conditions
Treatments When Cat is Lethargic and Not Eating or Drinking
- Feed with a syringe if the cat refuses to get at least one can of food in his system through the day.
- Give the juice of cans of tuna packed in water.
- Give fresh water or unflavored sports drinks if your cat has quit drinking. Ice cold liguids may help ease the pain.
When to Seek Medical Help
- If a cat lethargy and appetite are down for more than 24 hours, do not ignore the situation. Note any other symptoms and whether the symptoms increase over the next 24 hours.
- Also read what causes bladder cancer in dogs
- Certainly if your cat is not eating in 2 days and remains weak and somewhat disinterested in normal activities, seek medical help and have the cat seen as soon as possible.
- A cat who does not eat for even as little as 2 days can begin developing fatty liver syndrome where they start to break down fats stored in the liver.
- Lethargy and not eating can be a fatal situation with the cats liver shutting down from overwork (Read more about enlarged liver in cats ).