Eye Infection in Kittens
Treating infections is necessary because it can lead to problems with vision in the future.
- Infections can be caused by a number of pathogens
- Eye infections in kittens are not as common as infections in dogs.
- They can be easily treated at the vet.
- Prevention of infections is also possible.
Causes of Eye Infections
There are three categories of infective agents that can cause an infection of the kitten’s eye. These include:
- It is commonly caused by the feline herpes virus, which can also lead to upper respiratory infections.
Symptoms to Watch Out For
Some of the symptoms owners need to look out for include:
- Discharge – can be clear or colored, it can also have a foul odor.
- Inflammation of the cornea or of the conjunctiva
Some cats may also have vision issues that can present in the following symptoms:
- Bumping into things
- Refusal to enter dark rooms
- Uncomfortable in new places
- Unwillingness to jump or pounce
Systemic symptoms may include:
How to Treat Eye Infections in Kittens
Treating an eye infection is going to depend on the underlying cause of the condition.
- Bacterial – Kittens will most likely be prescribed some antibacterial eye drops or creams and ointments.
- Fungal – antifungal medications are the treatment of choice.
- Viral – Most viral infections are self-limiting, so the treatment method is most likely going to be supportive.
Supportive treatments for kittens with an infected eye:
- Regular cleaning of infected eye
- Anti-inflammatory drug
- Pain medication
Cage rest may also be necessary for cats that have severe eye infections. Some cats will also be given cone collars to stop them from scratching the infected eye while healing.
- How to Treat Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) in Kittens and Symptoms
- Mastitis In Cats: Symptoms And Treatment For Feline Breast Infection
- Kitten Diarrhea: Causes, Home Remedies and Treatment for Loose Motion
- Fungal Infection In Dogs: Symptoms And Treatment Of Fungal Infection
- Stages of Kitten Development: Growth and Stages of Kittenhood from Birth