Measuring Blood Pressure in Cats
There are two ways of measuring blood pressure, they are:
- Indirect – This uses an inflatable cuff and a gauge to measure the pressure in the arteries. This is the most common way of measuring blood pressure and it is also the least invasive method.
- Direct – This more invasive process involves the insertion of a catheter into the artery of the cat where it measures the actual pressure.
What is High Blood Pressure in Cats?
High blood pressure or hypertension is an elevated blood pressure reading.
Signs of High Blood Pressure in Cats
Like in humans, many cats go through life without exhibiting signs of high blood pressure despite the presence of the disease. However, there are also cats that experience symptoms, these include:
- Intolerance to activity
The cat may also experience some degree of headache and as a result, it may show signs of irritability.
Treating High Blood Pressure in Cats
When a cat has been diagnosed with high blood pressure, they are most likely going to need to take medication for the rest of their lives.
Treatment for High Blood Pressure
- Medication – Cats may be given medications like beta blockers or calcium channel blockers to help control blood pressure levels
- Diet Changes – Cats will need to decrease their intake of dietary sodium as sodium can help raise blood pressure.
- Weight Loss – even a small amount of weight loss can greatly improve a blood pressure reading.
Regular exercise – This has been shown to help lower blood pressureRelated Posts:
- High Blood Pressure In Dogs Signs: Causes & Treatment for Hypertension
- Causes, Treatment of High and Elevated White Blood Cell Count In Dogs
- Low Red Blood Cell Count In Cats: Symptoms and Treatments For Anemia
- Signs of Diabetes in Cats: What are Causes and Treatments?
- Blood In Cat Urine: Causes, Treatments And Home Remedies For Hematuria