Causes Of Low RBC In Cats
- Low RBC in cats is a condition where the cats red blood cell counts are very low. It can be caused by conditions or diseases that destroy the cells, blood loss, or inadequate production of red cells.
- Other causes of anemia in cats are trauma, kidney disease, iron deficiency, long term illness in the body, or immune system deficiencies.
- Rat poison intoxication is another reason a cat may be anemic.
- Also read how to diagnose cats blood in urine
- Read also elevated white blood cell count in dogs
Symptoms Of Anemia In Cats
- Symptoms of low red blood counts in cats may be weakness, lethargy, decreased breathing, swelling in the stomach, blood in the urine or stool, pale gums, fainting spells, loss of appetite and weight loss.
- Stools may be bloody if blood is pooling in the intestines.
- Tumors that grow in either the liver or spleen can cause blood to accumulate in the abdomen.
Treatments for Low Red Blood Cell Count in Cats
- Treatments for red blood cell count in cats is geared initially and most importantly to treating whatever underlying condition is causing the cat to be anemic.
- Blood transfusions may be necessary.
- Tumors that grow in either the liver or spleen can cause blood to accurate in the abdomen.
- Tests for infectious disease processes that can cause anemia in cats should be dome to rule out FIV, Bartonella, and FLV.
- Hormone therapy may be done for cats with kidney failure.
- Iron supplements are necessary for iron deficiencies in cats.
- Vitamin K may be needed for toxic rat poisoning cases.
- Treatment for anemia may require hospitalization and follow up visits with CBC every couple of weeks. This condition requires followup’s with medical professionals.
- Check your cat frequently for pale gums, his inability to sustain any exercise, weakness and appetite loss. Close observation by you at home will prevent much more serious issues with your feline friend.
- What Is Feline Infectious Anemia (FIA)? Why My Pet Is Anemic?
- Mast Cell Tumors in Labradors: Symptoms and Treatment for Labs
- Blood In Cat Urine: Causes, Treatments And Home Remedies For Hematuria
- FIP In Cats: Symptoms and Treatments Of Feline Infectious Peritonitis
- Yeast Infections in Cats: Causes and Treatments for Malassezia in Cats