Causes of Swollen Mammary Glands in Cats
- Normal swollen mammary gland in cats occurs when they are in heat, during pregnancy and when they are lactating.
- Swelling can be due to normal changes in hormone levels or because of disease.
- Swellings that are abnormal include overproduction of milk that causes an inflammatory process in the glands, a swelling where there is no pregnancy, a benign tumor that can grow very large, or a malignancy.
- Also read snout swelling in canine
- Infection of the mammary gland can also cause swelling.
- You may want to read what are the causes of Cats Swollen Lymph Nodes
Home Remedies for Swollen Mammary Glands in Cats
- Warm or cold compresses may help to decrease swelling in the mammary glands.
- Also read how to cut and clip dog toe nail
- Try natural remedies for swollen mammary glands to decrease inflammation or prevent infection and to decrease pain.
- Ground cloves can be made into a paste to numb the pain. Ginger oil is a natural anti inflammatory and Echinacea and goldenseal are antibacterial and will help to give the immune system a boost.
- Oil of licorice is an anti inflammatory herb and can be used topically. It works well without any negative effects on the cat’s body’s immune system.
- Feverfew can be used for pain relief and also acts as an herb that decreases inflammation. Never ever give cats aspirin as it is toxic.
- Be sure your cat always drinks plenty of fluids to release toxins from the cat’s body. Have fresh, clean water readily available at all times.
- If surgery is indicated, keep the wound clean, and the cat comfortable through recuperation.
- Turmeric is an herb that acts similar to cortisone, but without the nasty side effects. It will decrease inflammation. This herb can simply be sprinkled on your cats food.
- Tender loving care can go a long way to helping your cat feel better in no time.