Causes of Upper Respiratory Infections in Cats
- Generally cats are at low risk of developing a serious upper respiratory infection unless they are coming from somewhere where diet was poor and conditions were not hygienic. Typically strays or shelter cats have complications of a common cold.
- In kittens, the risk is higher and pneumonia could set in from the lungs not being fully developed.
- Most of the time, a runny nose or clear drainage from the eyes or nose is nothing to worry about as long as the cat is eating and drinking.
- It’s okay if the cat is not eating as much as he usually does, neither do us when we have a cold (Read more about cat cold symptoms). You may also like to read dog nasal congestion treatment
- Upper respiratory infection can also cause Pneumonia in cats
- Also read dog nasal congestion treatment
Home Remedies for Upper Respiratory Infections in Cats
- Keeping nutrition up is key to a quicker recovery for an upper respiratory infection in cats.
- Preventing dehydration is crucial. Dry cat foods tend to dehydrate cats quicker.
- Be on the lookout for fever in cats. If you cannot take the cats temp, be observant to notice if the cat seems listless, or totally withdrawn. This could signal a feverish condition. Encourage more fluids.
- Be on the alert for any signs of respiratory difficulties such as increased congestion and open mouth breathing. This is a sign that the cat may have some underlying complications. Seek advice from your vet.
- As a home remedy for upper respiratory infections in cats when your cat has normal congestion, you can let him sit in the bathroom while you take a hot shower. This will help to open up the bronchial tubes and clear the nasal passages to promote free breathing.
- Read some more home remedies and tips when cat keeps sneezing and has a runny nose
- Other than being observant to any unusual occurrences, let your cat rest and enjoy some quiet time with him. In no time at all your cat will be crawling up on your lap and purring like a kitten. It will just take a little time.