Owners of boxer dogs should pay attention to the type and amount of food they give to their pets, to sustain its growth. The health of a boxer dog depends from a certain kind of diet that works well to its benefit.
Boxer Dog Diet for Puppies
- Dry food is preferable over wet or semi-moist food because it is nutritionally balanced and good for their digestive system.
- Consuming dry food also helps the puppy’s developing teeth to prevent buildup of plaque and tartar.
- Canned foods are ideally given in very high quantities during a boxer’s puppy stage to supplement its demanding nutritional needs.
- Insufficient amount of food given often leads to poor resistance to infection and other nutritional imbalance.
Boxer Dog Diet Plan
- Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, or more simply Bones And Raw Food is the ideal type of diet to follow among boxers.
- The philosophy behind BARF diet is using the animal’s natural feeding routine in the wild and adapting it in the domestic setting.
- Boxers are prone to digestive problems but with the BARF diet, most conditions are prevented.
- Breeders feed boxer puppies high quality premium kibble designed for growing boxers.
- The veterinarian should be able to advice dog owners on any type of diet that is good for boxer dogs.
- There should be at least three small meals a day for puppies aged eight to sixteen weeks.
- Feeding is guided by the age and weight of the puppy and the type of food being prepared.
- Always make a regular habit of reading manufacturer’s labels when feeding commercially available puppy foods.
- Do not overfeed the boxer puppy as it might disrupt bone growth and development, especially with a high-carbohydrate or high-protein diet.
- After its sixteenth week, the boxer can be fed at mornings and evenings.
- To avoid accidents at home, feed boxers an hour before their regular exercise routine and a few hours before bedtime.
Boxer Dog Diet Ingredients
- Foods that are appropriate for boxers include raw meat and raw meaty bones. Muscle meats are also recommendable.
- Brown rice or ground grains should be given, not any corn or wheat products because these are high in gluten and may cause allergies.
- Vegetables and fruits that are raw may be included in the boxer dog’s diet.
- Dairy products help provide calcium that would encourage bone growth and development.
- Fish and eggs may likewise be a component of a healthy diet.
- Boxers must avoid table scraps to discourage overfeeding.
List of Foods To Avoid In Feeding Boxers
- Large amounts of raw eggs
- Raw fish
- Onions and garlic