Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs and Allergies
Before choosing the best dog food for sensitive stomachs, it is always wise to visit the veterinarian to know what is causing the stomach upsets. Diseases and allergies can be the culprits so getting informed can help in knowing what to feed and what to avoid.
- Minimize or avoid commercial or processed dog food brands. Most of these contain propyl gallate, ethoxyquin and sucralose which are chemicals that are used as preservatives and often give adverse reactions.
- Focus the dog’s diet to easily digestible food. Examples include oatmeal, sweet potato, rice, cottage cheese, and chicken. Remember to use chicken and not its byproducts like chicken hotdogs.
- Avoid switching dog food brands or the kind of food being eaten suddenly. Stomach upsets and allergies are often caused by doing this. Switching should be done in a gradual manner so that the dog’s stomach can adjust well to the change in food.
- Use holistic and homemade dog food. These food do not contain any sweeteners, preservatives, and uses salt sparingly. There are many dog food brands that offer gourmet food that are not processed.
Homemade Dog Food for Upset Stomach
Homemade dog food can be considered as the best to prepare for dogs with stomach upsets. But this can often be difficult since owners need to research on what nutrients should be taken in and what foods to avoid.
- The homemade diet should contain meals that are stuffed with nutrients. These include protein, carbohydrates, fats, fiber, probiotics, phosphorous, and a good combination of vitamins and minerals. Remember to consult a veterinarian to know the amount of each nutrient needed and the best foods that have it.
- When home cooking dog meals, do not forget that there are foods and ingredients that can be harmful, so exclude it in the menu. Chocolates, mushrooms, grapes, raisins, caffeine, avocado pits, and onions are some examples of these.
- Good meal ingredients to consider include chicken, turkey, fish, bone meals, broccoli, pumpkin, beets, cabbage, cauliflower, rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Fruits can also be served, like bananas and papayas.
- It is best to invest in a crock pot to make meal preparation easy. This will help make the meat ingredients tender and easy to digest.
- Supplements can be added to ensure that the dog gets the proper nutrients it needs. Do this after consulting a veterinarian.
- Best Dog Food for Puppies with Sensitive Stomach or With Allergies
- Homemade Diet for Dog with Kidney Disease: Food that you Must Avoid
- Natural Homemade Diet for Dog with Cancer: Tips on Food You Must Avoid
- Dog Food for Skin Allergies: Homemade Best Food for Dogs with Skin Allergy
- Dog Food for Dogs with Allergies: Homemade Recipes for Dogs Allergies