Low Purine Diet for Dogs
- Uric acid can build up in dog’s body resulting to various diseases like urinary problems and gout. In such condition, dogs must be provided with low purine foods.
- Low purine diet is required to lessen the uric acid formation which causes kidney stones.
- However, precaution must be employed when shifting to the dog’s diet to low purine as this can get into the eating habits and the digestive processes in the body.
- Thus, it is important that low purine foods are incorporated gradually to the dog’s diet. Also, there are food options that need to be considered since there are specific diets to be followed depending on the dog’s size and breed.
- Certain breeds are more susceptible to store uric acids in the body like male Dalmatians. So, they have to be strictly under low purine diet.
Low Purine Dog Foods
The following are some dog foods that are known to be low in purine:
- Various milk products are low in purine. Dogs can be fed with butter, cottage cheese and milk.
- Tofu has less purine contents which also contains proteins and carbohydrates.
- Chicken meat is known to have lesser purine than any other forms of meat.
- Fruits and vegetables are not just low in purine but also contain essential nutrients and minerals that are good for dogs.
- Bones and raw meat
- Peanut butter and eggs
- Tea and coffee can also be given as drinks
- They should not be given with sea foods, organ meats and legumes like beans and lentis since these are high in purine.
Homemade Low Purine Diet for Dogs
- Since it is hard to obtain commercially made dog foods that have low purine contents, pet owners can prepare homemade dog foods themselves. They can do the following which can be given in at any meal time.
- Prepare 440 grams of cooked rice
- Mix a quarter tablespoon or 1.25 grams of Calcium Carbonate
- Add one-fourth tablespoon of Potassium Chloride
- Put about 28 ml of vegetable oil
- Combine large hardboiled egg about 50 grams to the mixture, either sliced or mashed
- Aside from that, owners can also serve fruit shake with turkey neck which can be given for breakfast.
- Another easy to prepare and healthy option is a vegetable puree containing carrots, cabbage, zucchini, squash, garlic and celery.