My Dog Ate Weed, Butter and Cookies? What Should I Do?

It may sound like a joke, but there have been frantic calls to the vet that say, “help, my dog ate weed!” or “my dog ate weed butter, what’s going to happen to him?” Some people may indeed shrug this off as a funny incident, but it actually is a great cause for worry because weed or marijuana is actually toxic to canines.

My Dog Ate Weed, What Do I Do?

A dog may show symptoms of marijuana ingestion 30-90 minutes after it has swallowed a stash. The toxic ingredient in the substance is called delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. It may cause the mutt to suffer from these symptoms for a good number of days:

  • Poor muscle coordination
  • Fatigue or weariness
  • Dilated pupils
  • Decreased heart rate and
  • Urinary incontinence.

What to do If My Cat is Eating Weed

  • Once the discovery of weed ingestion is made, the pet owner must try to induce vomiting on the pooch so that the substance may be regurgitated from its system.
  • If it’s too late to do this, it is important to bring the dog to the vet immediately, and to be honest about the situation.

In treating marijuana ingestion in dogs, vets may administer the intake of activated charcoal, which is usually given to patients suffering from poisoning. This method of detoxification clears the toxins from the body as the charcoal passes from the patient. The vet may also recommend keeping the poisoned mutt warm at all times. There is very little risk for mortality, though it cannot be ruled out.

In the U.S, marijuana is legally available in 16 states, as long as it is used for medical purposes. Individuals who are ill and who are allowed to include marijuana in their diet need to be careful in handling their stash however, so that scenarios of pets eating weed may be prevented. For vets and animal lovers, it’s never cool or funny to hear anyone saying, “my dog ate weed cookies;” it’s just plain alarming.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *