Dogs can easily become overweight if pet owners are not careful about what they feed their dogs. Dogs eat whatever is offered to them. If they are offered larger portions for their build and age, the tendency is for them to grow overweight over time. Just like humans, dogs that are overweight suffer from a variety of health problems that can be both stressful to the dog and to the pet owner.
Overweight Dog Health Problems
- Overweight dogs are dogs that are too large and too heavy for their build and for their age.
- Obesity in dogs is fast becoming a problem today.
- According to a study, approximately 44% of dogs in the US are overweight.
- Dogs can become overweight for many reasons including:
- Improper diet
- Lack of sufficient exercise
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Hormonal disorders such as hypothyroidism
- Genetic predisposition
- Overweight dogs can suffer from a variety of problems including:
- Cardiac diseases
- Diabetes Mellitus
- High blood pressure
- Orthopedic injuries
- Cancer in various forms
- Respiratory disorders
Overweight Dog Problems
Just as dogs can easily become overweight, they can also easily lose weight. To prevent dogs from gaining too much weight and risking health problems, here are some telltale signs that pet owners should intervene:..
- Gradual weight change
- Exercise intolerance
- Apparent laziness
- Inability to feel the ribs
- Little or no upward tuck of the dog’s abdomen
- A straight or bulging line starting from the ribcage to the hips instead of the usual narrowing
Overweight Dogs Diet
Diet and exercise are the main cornerstones to weight loss in dogs. Changing a dog’s diet can easily help the dog to lose weight and avoid health problems that go along with obesity.
- Stop feeding dogs with table scraps.
- Avoid feeding dogs with human “junk food”.
- Avoid giving dog food and treats that are high in calories.
- Try a low fat/high fiber diet that a vet can prescribe.
- Try a holistic/natural dog food that is available over the counter.
- Do not allow the dog to “free feed”.
- Establish two to three mealtimes in a day only.
- Use a measured scoop to determine the dog’s recommended ration.
- Instead of giving commercial dog treats, give small pieces of carrots or apples instead.
- Older Dogs health problems: Caring For Older Dogs with Health Issues
- How To Handle Older Dogs Health Problems And Issues
- Dog Health Remedies: Natural Tips and Home Remedies for Healthy Dogs
- Green Bean Diet and Food for Dogs: Know How Much to Give
- Raw Meat Diet and Recipes for Dogs How Much: Pros and Cons