Dogs cannot distinguish which foods are safe to eat or not. They may be able to smell bad food and steer away from it but they generally eat anything they can get their mouths on causing food poisoning, stomach upset and other diseases and complication. Pet owners must step in, in order to give dogs only safe foods to eat.
Safe Foods for Dogs to Eat
- Refers to naturally-occurring foods, human foods, and dog foods that have been deemed safe to eat for dogs by experts.
- Safe foods prevent dogs from falling sick from various diseases and its complications.
- Safe foods also help the dog to grow healthy and develop a strong mind and body.
- Even store bought dog foods must be considered for its safety.
- Human foods must be considered for its possible allergy causing effects on dogs.
- Raw meats and bones must also be considered for its possible damages on the dog’s gastrointestinal tract and health.
List of Safe Foods for Dogs
There are human foods that are safe for dogs to eat without giving dogs allergic reactions, stomach upsets, and other gastrointestinal complications. When added to a dog’s diet, these safe human foods can be beneficial for the dog.
- Banana – a good source of potassium, fiber, and magnesium. Also contains vitamin B6 and vitamin C. Helps with the dog’s muscle and blood vessel function, improves diarrhea and constipation, and aids in energy transport as well as protein building.
- Rutabaga – known for its high levels of potassium, carotenoids, and vitamin C.
- Sweet Potato – good source of carotenoids, vitamin C, antioxidants, and phytochemicals.
- Flaxseeds – good source of alpha linolenic acid, manganese, magnesium, pyridoxine, copper, phosphorus, and folate.
- Yogurt – known for its probiotics. Also a good source of protein, phosphorus, calcium, vitamin B12, zinc, iodine, potassium, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid.
- Salmon – rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Nori – rich in protein, galactans, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, copper, zinc, sterols, and chlorophyll.
- Blueberries – high in phytochemicals, vitamin C, vitamin E, fiber, and manganese.
- Rosemary – a good source of iron, fiber, calcium, and phytochemicals.
- Swiss Chard – great for eye health, blood vessel integrity, bone health, immune function development, muscle function development, and production of energy.
Safe Foods for Dogs in 2011 and 2012:
Studies have shown that the following dog foods have been deemed safe for canine consumption. Some of these safe products include:
- Bench & Field Dog Food
- Dad’s Pet Food
- Dynamite Specialty Products
- Happy Dog Food
- Healthy Pet Products
- Holistic Blend
- Homestyle Select
- Eagle Pack
- Flint River Ranch
- Fromm Family Foods
- Go! Natural
- Grandma Lucy’s
- Life’s Abundance by Healthy Pet Net
- Nature’s Variety
- PRO PAC Superpremium Pet Foods
- Timber Wolf Organics