Dogs can experience all sorts of problems, including having black stools. If this happens on a one-time basis, then the owner should not really be alarmed unless the dog also exhibits other symptoms. However, if this occurs on a regular basis, this should raise red flags – the dog is definitely sick.
Black Stool in Dogs
- Having black stools is a condition called melana.
- It can be caused by a variety of reasons, ranging from what the dog has eaten to serious, deadly ailments.
- The main reason why the stool is black and tarry is that the blood was already digested. This means that the bleeding or ingestion of blood occurred somewhere before or in the stomach and the small intestines.
- It can affect any dog at any given time – no matter what breed, gender, size, and age the dog has. It could actually just appear out of nowhere, causing alarm to the owners.
- It is very important to watch out for black stool in pets. This is often caused by certain medical conditions, that, when left untreated, could cause serious complications or even death to the dog.
Causes of Black Liquid Stool in Dogs
There could be many reasons why dogs experience black, liquid stool. Some of these possible reasons are the following:
- Swallowing blood from a mouth injury or trauma or bleeding gums
- Ingestion of blood possibly from licking a wound
- Certain metabolic diseases
- Infectious agents such as bacteria
- Bleeding disorders or blood clotting disorders that occur at the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Presence of foreign objects in the upper gastrointestinal tract that cause irritation and lesions along the tract
- Certain medications
- Bleeding ulcers
- Certain forms of gastrointestinal ailment
- Post surgery complications
Tarry Black Stool in Dogs Treatment
- Remedies for tarry black stool will depend on a number of factors. Of course, it is always necessary to trace what was the root cause of the ailment before the right treatment can be provided.
- There are a number of home remedies that pet owners can give to their dogs to treat their problems. Again, the kind of home remedy that can be given will really be targeting the underlying cause.
- If the problem is just due to licking of wounds, then this will not need serious treatment except cleaning up the wounds and making sure that these are healed soon.