Weight Gain Diet and Recipe for Dogs
There are several, easy-to-make recipes for dogs who are underweight. Satin balls and fat balls are the common diet given to underweight dogs. These are also given to dogs prior to a dog show because these make the coat shinier and lustrous.
Satin balls or fat balls are made either as treats for dogs or as a staple food. The main ingredients in satin balls are grounded beef and oatmeal. But chicken and turkey meat are also used as substitute to beef.
Here is an example of fat or satin balls recipe:
- Satin Balls Recipe #1
- 10 pounds grounded beef. The grounded beef is rich in protein and has a high fat content. Protein is essential for muscle building.
- 200 grams oatmeal. The cereal serves as the source of fiber and carbohydrates.
- 10 raw eggs. Shells can also be added into the mixture. Eggs are rich in protein and calories. The calories provide energy to the dog.
- 8 envelopes of unflavored gelatin. Gelatin is necessary for nice texture, and as thickener.
- ½ tsp of salt. Salt adds flavor.
Combine all ingredients well. Form into balls and put in the freezer. Before serving the balls to the dog, make sure to thaw them.
Weight Gain Supplements for Dogs
Weight gain is a common problem for pet owners with emaciated dogs or dogs underweight. Underweight dogs are not healthy and sickly to look at. If changing the dog’s diet does not work, then supplement might do the trick. It is best to ask advice from a veterinarian before buying any commercially available supplements.
Other Helpful Tips that Can Help Dogs Gain Weight
- Give vitamins. Giving multi-vitamins to underweight dogs can help meet the daily nutrient requirements of the dog since emaciated dogs are also malnourished.
- Get rid of parasites. Parasitic worms and other parasites are one of the reasons why dogs lose their appetite and lose weight. These parasites also compete for nutrition.
- Feed the dog regularly. Serving the dog three meals a day can help the dog gain weight faster.
- High protein diet. Dogs need proteins to build up muscles.
- Start a low-impact exercise. Exercising the dog can help the dog regain its muscles.