- It is usually caused by
- allergies to food or inhalants
- Or they can be hereditary.
- Read causes and treatment for hearing loss in cats
Symptoms Canine Ear Infections
- Itching can be severe and if not treated can cause further problems with opening skin and providing a portal for secondary infections.
- Your pet may be scratching nonstop at one or both ears. He may constantly tilt his head to the side.
- There could be a discharge with a foul odor coming from the ear.
- Redness and pain can be a symptom of canine ear infection.
- Your pet may be irritable or seem somewhat depressed.
- Read more about hearing problems in labradors and available treatment options.
- To treat ear infections, you must investigate to determine the cause.
- The ear problem may be one of the first signs you notice if your pet has an allergy to food or an inhalant. Examine your dogs diet and anything he comes into contact with around the house or outside the home.
- Commercial dog foods can contribute to infected ears from the fillers and byproducts that are used. Over long periods of feeding these foods, toxins build up and the pet has allergic reactions to soy, wheat or glutens in the food.
- Feed natural or home cooked foods to avoid chemicals, dyes and preservatives.
- Household products like cleaners, floor polishes, etc can cause inhalant allergies that develop into ear infections. Use more natural products.
- Parasite infestation, as in ear mites, can be especially frustrating and itchy to your pet. Good ear cleansing with plain old white vinegar can decrease the bacteria. Adding oil to the ear will kill the parasites.
- As a preventive measure, clean the ears weekly. You must treat the infection and the allergy.
- Above all, you must control the itch. Give a nice bath with aloe and colloidal oatmeal to soothe dry, itching skin. Add fatty acids to the diet to lubricate and moisturize the skin.
- Home Remedies for Ear Infection and Allergies in Dogs
- What Can Cause Mange in Cats? Home Remedies to Cure Feline Scabies
- Early Signs of Rabies Disease in Cats? How to Prevent It Naturally
- Natural Treatment of Bad Breath in Dogs: Cure the Halitosis in Canines
- Stinky Dog Ears: Causes, Home Remedies and Natural Stinky Ears Treatments