Aggressive behavior in the past had its purposes especially when it came to hunting food, protecting territory and protecting the rest of the pack.
Dog Aggression towards People:
- It is sad to note that many dogs are kept in shelters because of aggressive behaviors towards people.
- Aggression towards people surfaces as a result of a perceived threat.
Dog Aggression towards Men and Strangers:
- Dogs do not assert aggressive behavior for no reason.
- In fact, in most cases, dog aggression towards humans stem from a response to a stressful situation.
- There are many reasons for dogs to be aggressive. These include the following:
- Fear aggression ??” caused by lack of socialization
- Territorial aggression ??” dogs perceive humans as trespassing into their territory
- Dominance aggression ??” dogs are mindful of their rank and status
- Food aggression ??” dogs feel the need to protect a vital resource such as food
- Pain induced aggression ??” dogs are in pain and might experience more pain when handled
How to Deal with Dog Aggression towards Other People:
- Ask the help of an experienced dog behaviorist for guidance.
- Desensitize the dog one small step at a time.
- Manage the dog’s environment and keep it away from stresses that trigger aggression.
- Do not display hostile body language as this will only heighten the dog’s anxiety.
- Know the signs of aggressive behavior. These include: raising of the hackles, exposing the teeth or curling the lip, dog growling, maintaining eye contact with the human involved, snapping at the human involved, or stiffening of the dog’s body.
Prevention is also key when dealing with aggression. This includes early socialization, getting the dog accustomed to human handling, treat the dog with kindness and respect, and so on.
Causes of Dog on Dog Aggression
Dog Aggression is really very severe behavioral issues for dog an owner, which needs to be addressed immediately, as it can hurt other dogs and humans. Find below some of the common causes
- Genetics ??” protective breeds are prone to develop aggressive behavior such a Dobermans, Akita’s, Rottweiler’s, and terriers.
- Inbreeding ??” this causes unstable temperament and aggressive tendencies.
- Environment ??” type of living conditions, lack of socialization, severe punishment, experience of an attack by an aggressive dog, spoiled dogs, frequent teasing by children, or aggravation by joggers can lead to aggressive behaviors.
- Pack order ??” some dogs occupying a dominant or alpha status will want to manifest this to lower ranking dogs.
Types of Dog Aggression towards Other Dogs
- Fear/nervous aggression
- Territorial aggression
- Predatory aggression
- Sexual aggression
- Dominance aggression
- Learned aggression
- Protective aggression
Any combination or single type of aggression can lead to aggression towards other dogs.
Dealing with Dog Aggression towards Other Dogs
- Visit the veterinarian to rule out any medical reasons that might be causing the aggression.
- Use an individualized approach, not all dogs are the same.
- Consult the help of an animal behavior specialist.
- Enroll the dog for proper obedience training.
- Enroll the dog for bite inhibition training.
- Socialize the dog while in its early puppy stage.
- Do not ignore the aggressive behavior and treat it as normal.
- Do not add punishment or pain to stop the aggression.
- Use head collars and muzzle to prevent fights with other dogs.
- Do not comfort the dog while it is displaying aggression, this sends the wrong message.
- Continue socializing and desensitizing the dog by meeting unfamiliar dogs or going to public places.
How to Stop Dog on Dog Aggression
- Obedience training is important.
- The dog is very sensitive to the owner’s energy, emotions, breathings, and feelings. Do not display any untoward reactions when approaching a dog that could possibly spark a confrontation as this will alert the dog instead.
- Use focused attention exercise to divert the dog’s attention from the other dog.
- Reward the dog for polite, calm greetings with other dogs.
- Give the dog a lot of exercise and activities to drain out excess energy.