Dogs with cancer require proper management of the disease to improve the quality of the dog’s life. Cancer cells can be slowed down through a good balance of nutrients and natural remedies.
Importance of Dog Cancer Diet
- There are types of food that are more appropriate for cancer-stricken dogs. Scientific studies show that the growth of cancer cells can be controlled through selecting foods that work against the spreading of the cancer.
- Owners must avoid any chance of malnutrition by maintaining a highly nutritious diet.
- Do not allow the dog to feed from table scraps, which do not provide the necessary nutrients it needs.
- Through the advice of the veterinarian, homemade meals for dogs with cancer can be prepared as opposed to buying commercial dog food.
Dog Cancer Diet Recipe and Food
- Dogs with cancer can obtain their supply of energy from fats and proteins, not carbohydrates. Protein retards the deterioration of the muscles in a body with cancer.
- Raw meat like lamb, beef, turkey and chicken is yet another good source of protein.
- Fish oil is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, which helps stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Amino acids like glutamine, valine, leucine and arginine, on the other hand, work to prevent tumor growth. Rich sources of amino acids include poultry protein, corn, barley and rice.
- Limit the intake of carbohydrates, which the body converts into glucose, the source of energy for cancer cells.
- A constant supply of antioxidants will increase the effectiveness of the cancer treatments and in turn, lessen the harsh side effects. List of antioxidants include vitamin C, calcium ascorbate, sodium ascorbate, ascorbic acid, vitamin E and A.
- Other antioxidants may be recommended as well, such as coenzyme Q10, vitamin D and selenium.
- Because cancer cells can affect the dog’s ability to digest and absorb the nutrients, supplements containing digestive enzymes like protease, amylase, cellulase and lipase can be included in the diet.
Dog Cancer Diet Vegetables
Cancer diets for dogs can have optimal health benefits when fresh vegetables are used to prepare the meals.
- Yellow Squash
- Chopped Spinach or cabbage
- Bell Pepper
- Herbs are used by some dog owners to complement the cancer diet. Holistic treatments utilize popular herbs such as echinacea, astragalus, milk thistle and ashwagandha.