Dog Food for Skin Allergies
- The leading cause of allergies in dogs comes from commercial dog foods. There are too many fillers, grains, soy and other byproducts that have no nutritional value.
- Many pets develop allergies to grain, wheat and soy because they accumulate in large amounts in the body.
- Avoid dog foods with high carbs, sugar, corn meal, corn gluten and wheat flour content. They are considered to be glycemic which means they break down into sugars. This is not good dog food for skin allergies.
- Too many starches in dog food lead to yeast infections. This is because yeast feeds off the sugar these starches break down into.
Best Food for Dogs with Skin Allergy
- Your dog needs real meat based food, not byproducts that have no nutritional relevance to the health of our pets
- In dry food forms, meat should be listed as MEAL.
- If meat is listed as just MEAT and not meat meal, it is considered more of a carbohydrate that breaks down into mostly sugar. This again is not good dog food.
- Commercial dog food companies will swear that their product is complete and natural. Always make sure that meat is at the top of the ingredient list, otherwise, you may be depriving your pet of what he needs for optimal health.
- Avoid supermarket and big corporations and chain sales of dog food. These places are notorious for selling dog food with antibiotics in it, pest prevention agents and chemicals that build up as toxins over time
- The toxins eventually wear down the very delicate linings of the stomach and eventually cause whole system disorders.
- There is always the option of home cooking for your pet.
- More and more people are turning to home cooked dog food for skin allergies. It is a big investment on your part with time and preparation, but the benefits to your best friends life is certainly worth it. Pet owners like having control of what is going into their pets bodies.
Causes of Common Food Allergies in Dog
- The most common dog food allergies are related to corn, soy, wheat or dairy products.
- Ironically, or maybe not so much irony, these are the same ingredients that make up the majority of the commercial dog foods we trust to feed our pets.
- These products are listed as some of the top ingredients in foods that are endorsed by the big companies making them as “Complete and Balanced.” This is misleading to consumers. They are not complete and balanced.
- For the most part, corn, soy and wheat are basically fillers. There is very little, if any at all, nutritional benefit in them for our trusted companion’s good health.
Treatment for Common Dog Food Allergies
- The most important home treatment for common dog food allergies is to get away from them. Dogs do not need them and they do not assist in our pets overall health and they do not help the body’s systems function optimally.
- Long term ingestion of these fillers actually sets our dogs up for allergic reactions as they keep building up and accumulating in our dogs systems. They don’t build our pets systems up, they end up breaking them down.
- Over time, the nutritional deficits wear our spunky little friends down. Their immune system weakens and opens the door to parasitic infestations that prey on the weak and debilitated.
- If this is the best we can do for our loyal companions then shame on us. Our pets deserve better. You have to make better choices for your furry friend.
- Home cooked meals for our pets are becoming increasingly more popular. Throw a whole chicken in a big pot of boiling bouillon debone it and make some meals in advance and freeze them.
- Add some sweet potato, some pasta, or brown rice. Cook up some carrots, green beans, anything simply natural. Be creative.
- Keep a bag of frozen green beans in the freezer for treats. Make some decaf green tea and allow it to cool. Pour over potatoes or side dishes for a boost to the dogs immune system. Take control of your dogs health. You can do it!
Causes of Allergies in Labrador Retrievers
- Any dog can have allergies to food, environmental contacts or skin.
- Unfortunately vets quickly diagnose allergies to dogs presenting certain symptoms.
- Causes most commonly are to chicken by products. Its important to know exactly what is in the food your dog is eating on a regular basis.
- Chicken byproducts are things like chicken feet, heads and intestines. You do NOT want to purchase any food that lists byproducts as one of the first few main ingredients.
- Most allergies are misdiagnosed and ultimately the real culprit, yeast, is not dealt with. Yeast infections can cause similar symptoms as food or environmental allergies.
- Also read vitamin supplements dogs itchy skin
- Too many carbohydrates or sugar producing ingredients can set up a serious infection process that affects hair, skin, digestive system, and immune functions just as allergens can.
- Yeast infections occur when the delicate lining of the intestinal tract is compromised by overuse of antibiotics, steroids, or foods that have poor nutritional value.
Symptoms of Allergies in Labradors
- Symptoms of allergies are similar to symptoms of chronic yeast infections.
- The coat becomes dull and alopecia, or hair loss, occurs in many spots.
- The symptoms can easily lead to bacterial infections from breaking the skin open. Hot spots develop. These are actually open sores that occur from constant moisture in licking and biting when the dog tries to relive itching.
- Diarrhea can occur. Lethargy and fatigue occur. Chronic and recurrent ear infections may plaque the pup.
- A foul body odor is present.
Treatment for Allergies in Labrador Retrievers
- Do not be so quick to determine that allergies are the culprit. You may keep trying different foods and not get any closer to resolving the true issues. Do not think that spending more money on food makes it better.
- There are a lot of dog foods out there that do not properly nourish your dog. Look closely at what the first few ingredients are. If it is not meat meal, look elsewhere.
- Stay away from table scraps. People food diets are laden with carbs that break down into sugars.
- Sugars feed yeast problems. They can destroy your dogs quality of life and cause miserable side effects.
- The best foods to feed are lean meats, green and colorful vegetables and the good fish oils in Omega 3 supplements. Home cooking for your dog lets you be sure you know exactly whats going in their bodies.