If a dog is not eating or drinking, it might be a sign of an underlying illness. It is also possible that he simply does not feel like eating. This is not a cause for alarm unless he skips more than one meal or becomes to lethargic to move.
Reasons Why Dogs Don’t Eat
The causes of dog is not eating and lethargic vary among individual dogs and across dog breeds.
- It might have ingested poison
- Ingestion of indigestible items such as bones and twigs
- Some object stuck in the mouth
- Allergies with dog food
- Does not like the dog food
- Upset stomach
- Enlarged prostate gland (male dogs only)
- Pancreatic problems
- Gas problems or bloating
- Kidney disease
- Stress or unhappiness – this could happen if the owner leaves the dog in a strange place
- Old age – old dogs simply don’t have enough energy or motivation to get up and eat or drink
Treatment When Dog Is Not Eating Food And Lethargic
The following are some of the possible remedies to treat the problem with a dog not eating or drinking:
- Entice the dog to eat by using food such as ground beef
- Give the dog some chicken broth
- Administer raw honey – could be diluted – to bring back appetite
- Check the mouth for possible objects stuck inside
- Keep the dog away from stressors or don’t leave him alone in a strange place
- You can read more about high fiber vegetables for dogs
If the dog is not eating food, check first the possible reasons why it is not eating. If the problem is severe, it is always important that the dog be brought to a vet immediately. This is to ensure that the problem will not worsen and lead to dehydration or death.