If the dog is throwing up white foam, it can be alarming to its owners. Is it dying? Is it rabid? What’s happening? These are just some of the questions that come to mind in this situation. There’s no need to panic because, most of the time, this is not fatal.
Cause of Dog Vomiting White Foam
There are many different reasons why a dog is vomiting white foam.
- Eating or ingesting items that are not digestible
- Eating scraps, garbage, and contaminated food
- Bilious vomiting syndrome
- Kennel cough
- Food allergies
- Canine Coronavirus
- Bacterial or fungal infections
- Read more information on causes of vomiting in dogs
Treatment and Remedies When Dog is Throwing Up White Foam
In trying to treat the dog, it is important to understand the causes of the ailment. This will help in determining the right medication to administer.
The following is a list of causes and treatment for dogs throwing up white foam:
- Bloating can be treated by decompressing the stomach to pass gas; this is done at the vet’s clinic
- Indigestible items can be diagnosed through x-rays and may be taken out through surgery
- Eating scraps, garbage, and contaminated food can be treated with stomach medication
- Bilious vomiting syndrome may be treated by giving dog light snacks or changing the feeding frequency from one big meal to 2-3 small meals throughout the day
- Kennel cough can be treated by medication
- Food allergies can be treated by antihistamines administered by the vet
- Canine Coronavirus can be treated by medication for diarrhea; in severe cases, dogs might need intravenous fluids to treat accompanying dehydration
- Bacterial or fungal infections are treated with antibiotics and antifungal medications
- Stress can be treated by allowing the dog to rest and taking the stressor away
So, the next time you observe a dog puking white foam, apply the necessary remedies or take him to the nearest vet.