Toad Poisoning In Dogs: Symptoms and Treatment of Bufo Toad Toxicity

November 28, 2010 | Dog Health | Leave a Comment |

Toad poisoning in dogs occurs when these household pets are exposed to toads. The skin of toads secretes mucus that is poisonous to dogs. There are some toad breeds that secrete a more toxic venom, like the Bufo marinus in Hawaii and Florida, which deadly effect could be seen in just a span of a few minutes.

How Dogs are Poisoned by Toads

Dogs get poisoned by:

  • oral exposure to toads
  • drinking water from a water dish in which a toad had been sitting on
  • absorption of toxins through cuts or broken skin

Signs of Toad Toxicity in Dogs

Take note of the following symptoms of bufo toad poisoning in dogs:

  • Distress and weakness
  • Head shaking
  • Pawing at the mouth due to pain
  • Profuse drooling
  • Red and inflamed gums
  • Reddish mucus membranes
  • Vomiting

In serious case scenarios, the dog poisoned by a toad’s mucus could show sighs of seizures or convulsions, and worse, cardiac arrest leading to its death.

Treatment for Dogs with Toad Poisoning

  • The first aid treatment for dogs that have been poisoned by toad mucus is to remove the traces of poison from its mouth. An effective way to do so is to squirt water from a hose into a pet’s mouth to rinse it of the toxin.
  • Upon seeking the attention of a veterinarian, he or she will likely sedate the dog to be able to rinse the toxic substance from the dog’s mouth and throat.
  • To decrease the absorption of the poison in the dog’s body, activated charcoal may be used.
  • The animal will be given IV fluids to keep its body hydrated.
  • Medications to control symptoms such as vomiting, drooling and seizures may also be given.
  • Even if the dog has already seemingly recovered, it is still important to attend post-poisoning checkups to ensure that the poisoning did not leave long-term effects on the dog’s health.

Speak Your Mind