- A dry hacking cough can be caused by kennel cough with dogs in shelters or among large populations of dogs. Kennel cough is usually accompanied by a nasal discharge. This condition is contagious and may require proper vaccinations
- A cough in dogs is usually the respiratory system trying to expel some foreign object or mucous through its tract and out of the body.
- Take note of how long the dry cough in dogs lasts. When does it occur? Does it occur while at rest or during activity? Does the cough occur only when eating? You will know what is unusual for your pet.
- A dry cough can be a sign of allergies or possibly heart conditions.
Symptoms of Dry Cough in Dogs
- There may or may not be nasal discharge associated with the cough.
- A rapid pulse or increased respirations can be symptoms of cardiac involvement.
- Read symptoms of kennel cough in dogs
Home Remedies for Dry Cough in Dogs
- Try a steam filled bathroom as a brief retreat for your dog and a home remedy for the dry cough in dogs.
- It is important not to automatically give any cough suppressants as that may do more harm than good. Suppressing the dry cough as a first measure may hide an underlying problem or respiratory infection.
- Keep the dog well hydrated to lubricate the throat and oral mucosa which may become red, dry and irritated from a dry cough that is persistent.