Home Remedies and Natural Treatment for Sick Dog
- Sometimes you may notice that your dog is just not himself. Just because his appetite may a little less than normal or he is running around as much as usual, it does not mean there is a serious problem.
- Just as humans get sick sometimes and do not know what is wrong, dogs can be the same way.
- Most times the sick feeling is short lived and after some rest, and companionship, for a few days, the dog is back to his normal spunky self.
- If the dog is going through a little virus he may have some loose stools or a decreased appetite. He may not be drinking fluids as often as normal. All of these symptoms can be considered perfectly normal if they just last a day or two, or sometimes a few days. Not to worry!
- While your dog is recuperating there are some home remedies for a sick dog. Keep a close eye on his fluid intake. Dehydration can occur quickly and you will want to observe for signs of that. If your dog is restless, listless, and his mucosa in his mouth is not a nice pink color and feeling moist, give droppers of water if you have to.
- The oral mucosa should be watched for cyanosis, or a bluish tint appearing. This can be a sign that your pet may be developing some respiratory issues and there is a lack of oxygen. Observe your pets breathing for quiet, regular breaths (Read more about rapid breathing in dogs ). Listen for congestion or the development of a dry cough or moist cough with excessive drainage (Read more about dog coughing and gagging ). Note the color of the mucous. As long as it stays white or cream colored, all is well. Be concerned with the mucous changing to yellow or green which can indicate some type of infectious process going on.
- All in all, you are the best judge of what is normal for your dog and you know when things are significantly different or worsening. Your sick dog trusts you to care for him and you should trust your instincts to know when to be concerned and seek medical advice.
- Also read more treatment when puppy is sick and when dog is not eating food