Female dogs go through a hormonal cycle just as female humans do. When this occurs the first time, it only gives the owners a false alarm. However, if the false pregnancy occurs over and over again, it becomes a nuisance.
Hysterical Pregnancy in Dogs
- A hysterical pregnancy can also be termed as a false pregnancy. It is when the dog shows signs of being pregnant but it actually turns out that she is not.
- Symptoms of a hysterical pregnancy also come in the right time – right after the dog was in heat.
- This condition is caused by a hormonal disorder which dogs get at times after being in heat.
- Also read frequency and symptoms of heat cycle in canine
- In hysterical pregnancy or pseudocyeisis, the dog is hormonally pregnant, only the puppies are missing.
Hysterical Pregnancy Symptoms
- Mothering inanimate objects or even other dog’s puppies
- Lactating or producing breast milk
- Distention of the abdomen
- Appearing to go into labor
- Symptoms of hysterical pregnancy usually appear 6 to 12 weeks after estrus.
Hysterical Pregnancy Treatment
- There are two methods to treat canine false pregnancy; one is through conventional methods and the other through alternative homeopathic methods.
- Canine false pregnancy is basically a hormonal imbalance so treating it medically will help.
- If the owner has no intention to breed the female dog, it is best to spay the dog instead, especially for dogs who suffer from severe hysterical pregnancy symptoms.
- A hysterically pregnant dog will also be experiencing lactation. To help prevent mastitis, it is best to express the milk by hand since there will be no suckling taking place.
Homeopathic medicine as an alternative treatment for hysterically pregnant dogs is commonly practiced by holistic veterinarians. Use of these alternative medicines should be strictly followed according to the instructions issued by the vet.