Causes of Puppies Car Sickness
- The causes for car sickness in puppies are usually related to the underdevelopment of the puppies neurological system. His equilibrium is off and he feels a little off balance. Generally the pup will outgrow out of the car sickness or motion sickness as it is also referred to.
- Occasionally car sickness in pups is due to a bad incident that occurred in the past.
- Also read how to spot sick dog symptoms
Home Remedies for Puppies Car Sickness
- An empty stomach is the best for traveling in puppies with car sickness. Wait several hours after eating to attempt a trip.
- A nice drink of naturally relaxing chamomile tea is helpful to decrease anxiety in your pet.
- Lavender oil rubbed on the dogs coat or skin can naturally relax the dog too as a home remedy for puppies car sickness.
- Ginger is a natural herb for upset stomach or nausea which can occur on car trips. Try treating your pet to a ginger snap cookie.
- You may also like to read natural home remedies for sick dog
- Make short trips to start with and gradually increase the time spent riding in the car.
- Have some of the pups personal items handy in the car for comfort to him. A favorite toy or blanket will distract him from the ill feelings.
- Make frequent stops along the way to allow the pup to get a drink of fresh water or relieve himself. A little diversion from the ride will help decrease anxiety.
- Minimize sudden stops and turns when trying to get your pup used to riding in the car. Sudden jerky movements can upset the pups stomach more.
- Be sure there is adequate ventilation and circulation of air in the car. This is important.
- Read what to do when your puppy is sick
- With continued and consistent training and reinforcement, this sickness from riding in the car will diminish in most pups.