Betta Fish Dropsy
This disease is easy enough to diagnose because the fish will have scales that are hardened and would stand out. In this ailment, the fish will have a body that looks like an opened pinecone.
- The betta will look bloated, like it was inflated but with hard spikes protruding from its body.
- Because the ailment is caused by many factors, many of which are internal, it is difficult to determine the exact cause for the ailment.
- Possible causes of dropsy include:
o Internal bacteria
o Cancerous tumors
o Internal parasites
o Viral infections
o Fungal infections
o Bacterial infections
o Dirty water
o Too much nitrates in the water
o Fish tuberculosis
o Kidney damage.
- It can actually be caused by just one factor or a combination of any of these factors.
Betta Fish Dropsy Treatment
- Because the origin of the ailment is difficult to pinpoint, treatment is also quite difficult. If the root cause is determined, then it is easier to provide treatment. For instance, if bacteria are suspected, antibiotics will be the best treatment.
- Because the fish is bloated, it is best to draw out the liquid using salt baths.
- Many medications are available to try to treat dropsy; however, prognosis is quite low even with medication.
Betta Fish Dropsy Symptoms
The following are the symptoms exhibited by fish with dropsy:
- Swelling of the body and eyes.
- Loss of appetite.
- Loss of color.
- The scales protruding, becoming spiked, and appearing like pinecone scales.