Owning fishes as pets can be fun. Still, it can also be very frustrating if the fishes are suddenly acting weirdly, such as swimming upside down. Though they fish might look like it is dying, there is still hope for it.
My Fish is Swimming Upside Down
- The following are some of the possible reasons why fish swim upside down:
o Fishes have swim bladders that can get filled up with too much air when they come up to the surface to eat floating food.
o Constipation is also another cause why fish swim upside down. Though this might be difficult to determine because owners do not observe an individual fish on a 24/7 basis, this can be observed at times as a trail of fecal matter on the fish’s anus.
Help My Fish is Swimming Upside Down
- If the fish is swimming upside down, it is quite possible that it will be able to right itself once the problem is solved, i.e., it is not constipated anymore or the excess air in the swim bladders is released.
What to Do
- Try to determine the cause.
- Adding a small amount of aquarium salt or Epsom salt in the tank can help correct constipation problems.
- It is also a good idea to feed the fish with green, fibrous plants.
- Feeding food pellets and other food that sink helps make sure that the fish does not gobble air from the surface. Thus, floating food such as flakes should be avoided.
- It is also a good idea to feed the fish with brine shrimp.