Praziquantel is an anthelmintic used to get rid of tapeworms, cestodes, flukes, and trematodes. It is not designed and licensed for use in humans but is a regular medication used for fishes. No preparations are necessary in adding the medication and the tank does not even have to be cleaned or the water replaced.
Praziquantel for Fish
- It is used to get rid of various parasites in many fish species.
- It is a bitter tasting powder that is easily added into the tank to kill most internal and external parasites. It is also effective in killing parasites living without a host inside the tank.
- It is quite gentle to the fishes but fatal for the parasites so that it is among the best treatments available.
- Totally non-toxic to plant species and is very harmless to all fish species so that it can directly be poured inside the tank.
- Of course, it is still a good idea to isolate the sick fishes for treatment but Praziquantel is so gentle that it will not harm the healthy fishes that do not need the medication.
Praziquantel Fish Treatment
- Treatment of the infected fish tank is very easy using Praziquantel.
- First, the amount of medication is determined. This amount is directly poured into the tank.
- After a few hours, the adult parasites will be shed by the fish.
- There is, often, no need for repeat medication. In fact, Praziquantel is so effective that most parasites are eradicated on first medication.
- Still, to be sure, some aquarists might add more medication after partial water changes. Though not very necessary, it is still safe enough to do – the fishes will not harmed by this extra dose.