Fish is an abundant source of essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 and Omega 8. It is an excellent source of whole foods. Some fishes such as salmon are rich in protein as well. Fish is low in saturated fat, which makes it ideal for a balanced diet. Many famous breeds including the ones used as sled dogs are fed with fish and they are known to be sturdy, alert, and healthy.
- Fish diet for dogs can contribute to reducing the risks in developing diseases in the heart and brain.
- The fish diet is also beneficial in treating or preventing depression even in dogs.
- The oil from the fish diet can prevent diseases including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ulcerative colitis
- Raynaud’s disease
- The health benefits also cover reversing or alleviating existing illnesses such as
- Congestive heart failure
- Blood clotting
- Blood pressure
- Some of the fishes that can be fed to dogs are:
- Because salmon is expensive, its bones can be cooked and the meat scraped.
- Sardines and tuna fishes can be bought either in canned products or fresh
Raw Fish Diet For Dogs
The good thing about fishes is that they come in various varieties, sizes, and textures. They can also be prepared in many different ways including raw.
- In preparing raw fish diet for dogs, the whole fish can be fed to dogs. In fact, unlike humans, animals prefer to and will do well if they feed on the whole fish.
- Some of the fishes that can be fed raw to dogs are:
- Red fish
- The fish heads in particular are a favorite of dogs. In some dogs which have not tried to eat fish, the experience can be delightful and overwhelming.
- Raw fishes when fed are recommended to have their scales, guts, and fins intact.
Fish and Potato Diet For Dogs
The fish and potato diet for dogs is beneficial to dogs. They need carbohydrates from potatoes for their energy, vitamins, and minerals.
- In preparing the fish and potato meal, any potatoes can be included such as the sweet and white or both.
- Avoid the peeling, eyes, and green spots on the potatoes as they can contain solanine, which is a toxin to dogs
- The carbohydrates from potatoes are essential in making dogs active. Sweet potatoes are a good source of antioxidants like vitamin c, beta carotene, phosphorous, iron, and vitamin b complex.
- Sweet potatoes provide fiber for good digestion and calcium for stronger bones and teeth.