What Causes Stressed Fish condition?
- Environmental changes brought on by poor tank preservation that can damage the quality of water and oxygen used by the fish.
- Improper living conditions those are not appropriate for the type of fish. There are kinds of fishes that require special requirements in food and temperature.
- Overcrowding inside the tank will make dominant fishes bully the other ones, thus, causing stress.
- Parasites that find their way in the aquarium can cause much damage to the health of the fish.
Stressed Fish Symptoms
- Inactivity, refusal to eat, changes in color of scales and the tendency to remain in the upper corners of the tank are common signs if a fish is stressed.
- For stressed fishes that are attacked by parasites, watch out for fungal growths, lesions or red spots.
How To Help Stressed Fish
- The first course of action for a pet owner is to eliminate the cause of stress.
- Test the conditions of the water to find out if the cause lies within the pH levels or harmful contents like nitrate, ammonia or nitrite.
- Next step is to check the equipment being used in the tank. Make sure the filter or heater is in good working condition.
- Another course of action is to stop the instances of bullying, by separating the dominant fishes from the rest to prevent more stressful conditions.
How To Treat Stressed Fish
- If parasites are the cause of stress, a necessary treatment for the water inside the tank will be made.
- The infected fishes will have to be isolated in a recovery tank, away from the other healthy fishes.
- Avoid overstocking the tank, take time to observe a newly acquired fish and wait for it to be more familiar with its new environment.
Simple Fish Keeping Tips
- Before buying the fishes, research.
o How big will the adults be?
o Do they breed easily?
o What do they eat?
o What are their natural predators?
o Are they susceptible to diseases?
o Do they need special handling procedures?..
- Buy a large tank. A large tank will ensure that the water temperature and conditions are more stable. Make sure that the tank is large enough to handle all the fishes without overcrowding.
- Invest in good aquarium equipment, including filters, aerators, and ornaments.
How to Keep Fish Happy
- Fishes will be happy when they have a lot of hiding places in the tank. This way, they are less stressed and have somewhere to go if they are hiding from their enemies.
- The more fish in the tank, the more playmates the fishes will have. However, the overcrowding can cause more stress. Thus, a balance of the fish species and populations should be considered. There should be just an inch of fish in a gallon of water.
Useful Tips on How to Keep Fish Healthy
- A clean tank maximizes the chances of the fish staying as healthy as possible. Thus, the tank should be cleaned regularly. To avoid stress, the water may be changed incrementally.
- Add charcoal filters or lava rocks in the tank.
- It is also a good idea to invest in a good water test kit. This will ensure that the levels of oxygen, nitrogen, and other chemicals in the tank are kept in balance.
- Never overfeed as it can create lot of problems for the fish and the tank.
- Sick fishes should be isolated and treated immediately.
- Fish Ulcers Treatments And Remedies: How To Cure Fish Ulcer Problem
- What Is Betta Fish Dropsy and How to Treat Betta Diseases
- My Fish Is At the Bottom of the Tank: Why My Fish Is Acting So Weird
- Symptoms Of Fish Illness | How To Diagnose Fish Diseases?
- Tropical Fish Fungus: Treatment & Symptoms of Fresh Water Fish Fungus