Are Christmas Trees Poisonous To Cats? Symptoms and Treatment

August 22, 2011 | Healthy Cat | Leave a Comment |

Christmas is a time for happiness and joy, not a time to rush pets to the veterinarian. When this holiday comes along, it is best to know what kinds of trouble cats could get into with all the holiday spirit.

Christmas trees may be a happy icon for people, but cats that are curious enough to chew on it, even its fallen pine needles, may have some problems. Christmas trees are quite poisonous for cats, although these are not as lethal as lilies.

The branches of the tree, the pine needles, and even the water that is found at the base of the Christmas tree can be poisonous for cats. It is then extremely important for owners to ensure that their cat is kept far away from the Christmas tree at all times.

Christmas Trees Cats Toxic Symptoms

When cats ingest parts of a Christmas tree, it can be poisoned. When this happens, it is important to take the cat immediately to the veterinarian especially if the cat shows a weakened state. Below are other symptoms cat owners can take note of especially during the holidays:

  • Oral irritation which can come in the form of inflamed mouth, red or bleeding gums, and inflamed throat.
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Posterior weakness
  • Trembling
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Heart problems

Christmas Trees Cats Allergic (Treatment)

When a cat displays some of the symptoms of Christmas tree poisoning, the following methods can be done in order to help the cat.

  • Bring the cat to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
  • If the cat is vomiting, provide the cat with some milk or let it take a sip of water to help relieve the stomach upset.
  • Induce vomiting if the cat has recently ingested parts of the Christmas tree – even pine needles – so that the offending plant is expelled from the cat’s body.
  • Ask a veterinarian of activated carbon that can be provided so that the toxic substances can be withdrawn from the body.
  • Providing the cat with ample food, water and rest so that it can recover fully on its own.

Are Christmas Trees Fatal to Cats?

Christmas trees are not fatal to cats. Although these may give the cat some health problems for a few weeks or months, it will not be fatal. Unless of course the cat has ingested large amounts of the Christmas tree, in this case this will definitely need the attention of a veterinarian, especially if the cat has started to enter seizure or coma.

Speak Your Mind