Pets have an innate curiosity. New additions to the house immediately become the center of the pet’s interest. For example, pet owners find it difficult to have plants in the confines of their own home. Pets often nibble on these plants, and scatter the remains everywhere. Although pet owners find this behavior disruptive, it may be either a pet’s natural reaction, or a symptom of a health problem. When pets nip on the leaves of plants, it may be due to hunger or an underlying gastrointestinal problem.
Are Miniature Roses Poisonous to Cats
- Roses belong to a family of more than 3,400 plants. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, most of them are safe enough for cats.
- Ingestion of miniature roses does not cause fatal symptoms in cats. Roses have even been used as ingredients in meals normally ingested by humans. However, some species, such as the desert rose, Christmas rose, and the Rose of Sharon have been implicated to cause severe bouts of nausea and diarrhea, depending on the amount ingested.
- Pet owners have almost nothing to worry. Once their pet cats ingest some rose petals, pet owners are assured that there would no longer be future episodes. Roses are not palatable enough for these pets.
Eating plants which are not normally part of the cat’s carnivorous diet comes with a price. Because cats do not eat plants or vegetables, these pets may suffer from symptoms of mucosal irritation such as the following:
- increased salivation
Pet owners have little to worry since these symptoms are usually mild and do not cause significant damage. However, if the allergic reactions become prolonged, it may be necessary to consult a nearby veterinarian. The problem may not only be due to ingestion of roses or other plants.
- To prevent future episodes, pet owners should keep their plants and flowers away from the cat’s view.
- Keep the roses away from the pet cat’s reach. Felines are naturally inquisitive and curious. They would not be satisfied unless they get a taste of whatever has caught their fancy.
- Pet owners could distract the attention of the feline by offering treats and other toys for nibbling.
- Are Phalaenopsis and Cymbidium Orchids Poisonous to Cats? How to Prevent?
- Is Bamboo Leaves or Plant Poisonous To Cats? What Are Their Symptoms?
- Are African Violets Poisonous to Cats? What Are Their Allergic Reactions?
- Are Hydrangeas Poisonous To Cats? What Are their Symptoms and Treatment?
- Are Poinsettias Poisonous To Cats: How TO Take Care Of It?