Cats Ate Chocolate: What If My Cat Eat Ice-cream and Chips

It is understandable why chocolate is one of the most-loved sweets of all time. The aroma, taste and texture of chocolate and chocolate products cannot be replaced by any other food. Proof of this is that chocolate festivals abound all over the world. It is no surprise then, that pets love chocolate as much as their owners do.

What If My Cat Ate Chocolate?

Vet reports wherein the cat ate chocolate are quite common. Most often, such a scenario makes pet owners panic because of the notion that chocolate is considered to be lethal for canines and felines. This notion is unfortunately true. The primary ingredient in chocolate, theobromine, is toxic to cats if ingested. The caffeine content of the chocolate also poses harm to cats.

Theobromine affects the nervous system and the digestive system of felines, and may cause the following symptoms to appear:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • restlessness
  • hyperactivity
  • twitching muscles
  • hyperventilation
  • frequent urination

Once any of these signs emerge in the feline, pet owners are advised to call the vet immediately, especially if there’s reason to believe that the kitty may have snacked on some chocolate goodies.  Pure chocolate from cocoa beans have high concentrations of theobromine. Milk chocolate on the other hand, has little concentrations of the toxic compound.

There are lesser worries if the cat ate chocolate ice cream, or if the cat ate chocolate chip cookies. These products have a little or diluted amounts of chocolate in them, posing no harm at all to the pet cats. The only danger in this case is having a spoiled feline.

To avoid chocolate toxicity in pet cats, vets advise cat lovers to purchase chocolate-flavored drops instead, a chocolate treat that’s specifically made for pets that contains the only the safest, feline-friendly ingredients. Keeping a stash for the kitties will veer away their attention from real but harmful chocolate.

Related Reading:

Dog Ate Chocolate

Most dogs find the taste of chocolate appealing and sometimes it can be very tempting for owners to give their dogs some. However, chocolate can be toxic in dogs and can cause all sorts of problems.

  • Chocolate can be toxic in dogs, especially in large quantities because the methylxanthines, which is found in the Theobromine that is in chocolate.
  • Dogs metabolize theobromine a lot slower than humans do.
  • It can be fatal to dogs in large amounts.
  • The chemical can affect the dog’s cardiovascular and neurological systems

Dog Ate Chocolate Symptoms

If a dog ate chocolate, here are the symptoms to look out for

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloating

As the chocolate toxicity progresses, the dogs symptoms gets worse and they may show the following symptoms:

  • Restlessness
  • Frequent Urination
  • Weakness
  • Seizures
  • Hyperexcitability
  • Frequent Urination

If the toxicity progresses further, it can cause coma and death in dogs. Death is rare though, but when it does occur it is due to cardiac arrest. Coma is rare too.

Dog Ate Chocolate What Do I Do (Treatment)

Many owners ask ‘What to Do if Dog Ate Chocolate?’ Well, there should be no need to panic.

Doing the following things is also important as it may be necessary information for vets later on:

  • How much chocolate did the dog eat?
  • When did the dog eat chocolate?
  • What kind of chocolate did the dog eat? (e.g. dark, milk)

How one type of chocolate affects a dog is going to differ from how another does. Dark chocolate have higher contents of Theobromine and Caffeine. Higher quality chocolate is also going to contain more theobromine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *