What Is Cat Gestation?
Cat gestation is known as the period of pregnancy in felines. During this time, a pregnant cat is expected to be very stressed and sensitive. Pet owners will have to play a great role at this point in their cat’s life. Cats can conceive and give birth to as many as ten kittens at one time.
Most cats are known to engage in mating during warm season.
Cat Gestation Period
- The period of gestation in cats will generally take between 60 and 70 days, which comprises about two months.
- During this time, the cat can experience stressful and difficult time with the changes in her body, hormones, and behavior.
- The cat can be agitated, disturbed, and panicky at times and can be affectionate, calm, and contented at other times.
- And the good thing during this point is that the cat won’t go in heat until the kittens are born. This relieves pet owners from experiencing annoying manifestations of cats in heat for a period of time.
Stages and Timeline
Typically, a cat’s pregnancy takes 60 to 70 days. Here is the timeline during the gestation period and what owners should expect at this point.
- 0 – 2 weeks: There will be no obvious manifestations that the cat is conceiving during this time. The fertilized egg attaches to the womb of the mother cat.
- 3 – 4 weeks: The fetus has already formed its organs as week 3 starts and this would then set off some signs of conception. Nipples will start to color. Vomiting and nausea will be observed often. At the end of the fourth week, the veterinarian can determine the number of kittens the cat is expected to give birth to. These are usually tiny but have been developed fully.
- 6 – 7 weeks: As week 6 ends, the kittens inside the cat’s womb can be felt and seen, especially as she moves. The cat’s nipples will become fuller and bigger. By the end of the seventh week, milk would start to come out. The cat might also become agitated and often look for somewhere to seek consolation. This will be the nesting stage, wherein pet owners must allow their pregnant cat to find a safe and comfortable place to deliver. This is a sign that the cat is expected to give birth within 12 hours.