Are Lilies Poisonous to Cats?
Flowers are often found everywhere, and among the most beautiful flowers are lilies. While these are indeed beautiful and fragrant, lilies are also quite poisonous, especially when a cat has ingested it.
Various types of lilies including stargazer lilies, Easter lilies, tiger lilies, day lilies, and Asian lilies are favorites when making bouquets and flower arrangements. However, all of these are also deadly to cats. Although reasons why lilies are poisonous are still left unknown, it is a fact that the toxin that lilies emit is soluble in water, and is known to be quite deadly.
How Poisonous are Peace Lilies to Cats?
All species that are under the Lilium genus are noted to be extremely hazardous to cats. Although the peace lily shares the same name as tiger lilies, and stargazer lilies, peace lilies are not true lilies as these are not from the Liliaceae family. The peace lily is from the Spathiphyllum genus, and is just mildly toxic to both humans and animals when ingested. Therefore these are not toxic enough for cats when ingested compared to the true lilies which could be fatal.
Lilies Poisonous Cats Symptoms?
Cats can be poisoned by lilies right by licking pollen of a lily, drinking water right from a vase where cut lilies where submerged, or simply by biting into a lily leaf or petal. When this happens, various symptoms of poisoning may be observed, such as the following:
- Kidney failure
- Foaming at the mouth
- Loss of appetite
Lilies Poisonous Cats Treatment?
When a cat has been poisoned by means of lily toxicity, there are various methods of treatment, although these must be done almost immediately as poisoning spreads quickly.
- Dialysis may be required for cats that have not suffered too long from the toxicity.
- Some cats may require minimal therapy in order to recover, such as good food and proper care.
- If kidney failure happens, there might be a little window for recovery, although most cats that suffer from kidney failure may never recover the functions of their kidney again.
- The use of activated charcoal may be used in order to counter toxic effects.
- Treatment via intravenous fluids may help save the kidneys.
- Inducing vomiting especially if the cat has just ingested the plant may work as well. This is done to expel the swallowed toxic plant.
- Consulting a veterinarian as soon as possible is the best way to treat the poisoning before it is too late. This should be done within 18 hours of ingestion of the poison.