To treat some health conditions, prednisone for cats are sometimes administered. This can be given orally in tablet, liquid or syrup preparation. This can also be offered through injections. The dosage of this differs depending upon the size, weight, extent of the disease and the overall health condition of the cat.
This type of drug is used in a variety of diseases such as autoimmune disorder, allergies, arthritis, Addison’s disease, and many more. Prednisone for cats is a type of drug which needs the prescription of a veterinarian.
- Low dosage of prednisone is administered to cats to manage allergy and its symptoms.
- Moderate dosages, on the other hand, are given to stimulate cats’ appetite. These can also avert nausea and vomiting symptoms, so prednisone is also a good anti-emetic drug.
- High or increased doses of prednisone are used as chemotherapy agent to treat cancer in cats. These can also remedy autoimmune and immune diseases such as ulcerative skin ailments.
In cases of cat allergies, prednisone helps in decreasing the itchiness, inflammation and redness as it is effective in the suppressing inflammatory reaction caused by allergens. This drug is also effective in remedying anti-inflammatory conditions such as extreme inflammation of the skin and inflammatory bowel disorder. Prednisone in cats is also used in the treatment of shock, spinal cord trauma and anaphylactic response.
Side Effects of Prednisone for Cats
There are also known side effects of prednisone for cats, just like any other type of medication used in pets.
- Loss of hair
- Poor quality of fur and coat
- Behavior changes, as manifested by aloofness, aggression, agitation and the like which are not usually exhibited by the cat
- Nausea and vomiting
- Ulcers in the gastrointestinal tract
- Kidney problems and frequent urination
- Fluid retention, which is shown by puffiness or edema
- Increased blood pressure
Moreover, muscle weakness and degeneration, eye problems, Cushing disease, and weight gain are some of the long-term negative effects of prednisone in cats.