Cobalamin Deficiency in Dogs
Cobalamin or vitamin B12 is essential to a dog’s health. It is also known as Methylcobalamin (B-12). Finding the causes and treatment options for this deficiency is important to keep dogs healthy.
Causes of Low Cobalamin in Dogs
- Failure to absorb cobalamin – This can result from the presence of a parasite of from some issues with the gastro intestinal system.
- Lack of vitamin B 12 in the diet.
- Genetic issues with cobalamin absorption
What is Cobalamin?
- It is a vitamin that is aids in cell reproduction
- It helps in maintaining energy levels
- Stops the degeneration of nerve cells
- Maintains the nervous system
- It has been shown to aid in fighting diabetic neuropathy
- It is not found in plant matter, instead it is found in meats and dairy products. .
- Also read symptoms of vitamin d overdose
What Happens in Vitamin B12 Deficiency?
When this vitamin is deficient, it can result in problems with the following:
- Nervous System
- Immune System
Symptoms of B12 Deficiency
Since B12 absorption problems can be inherited, symptoms of deficiency can show up in early life. Acute deficiencies can also happen to adult dogs.
- Inability to gain weight
- Anorexia – loss of appetite
- Nerve Degeneration.
- Pernicious Anemia
- Taking of Medical History
- Physical Exam
- Diet History
- Blood chemistry
- Complete Blood Count
The dog’s response to cobalamin supplementation may also be used to diagnose or confirm deficiency.
- Supplementation – this is the most common treatment method for cobalamin deficiency
- Dietary changes – for dogs that do not have a balanced diet. .
Canine cobalamin supplements can come in the form of tablets, injections, liquids, and nasal gels. Diarrhea is a common side effect of supplementation. Dogs should not be given supplements if they are allergic to it.Related Posts:
- Zinc Deficiency In Dogs: Symptoms And Treatment of Zinc Deficiency In Canine
- Thyroid Deficiency In Dogs: Symptoms And Treatment Of Hypothyroidism
- Iron Deficiency In Dogs: Symptoms And Treatments Anemia In Dogs
- Vitamins for Dogs Skin Allergies | Vitamin Supplements Dogs Itchy Skin
- Causes of Incontinence in Dogs: Treatments, Symptoms & Home Remedies