Dog Ate Gum
Dogs are naturally inquisitive animals. They sniff at anything. They take a bite or even eat anything that they could fit inside their mouths. Thus, they are prone to experiencing problems like ingestion of non-food objects such as gum, bones, and toys.
Dog Ate Gum With Xylitol
- The problem with gum with xylitol is that this sweetener can cause a host of problems in the dog. In fact, it could poison the dog and trigger a sudden release of insulin resulting to significant drop in the dog’s blood sugar levels.
- Xylitol is very potent even in small quantities, acting in as fast as 30 to cause a significant drop in the dog’s sugar levels.
Dog Ate Gum Without Xylitol
If the dog has eaten a gum that does not have xylitol, it still has a risk of having problems such as blockage of the digestive passage.
What Happens If My Dog Ate Gum..
- When the dog eats the gum, its components are easily broken down as it travels down the digestive tract.
- If it contains xylitol, this will trigger secretion of insulin.
- With very high insulin levels in the body, the blood sugar drops.
- The liver shuts down.
- The best thing to do is to induce vomiting and bring the dog to a vet immediately.
- Insulin Resistance in Dogs (Canine): Side Effects of Insulin Injection
- Poisonous Foods for Dogs: Most Toxic Food and Fruits for Dogs
- Insulin Overdose in Dogs: Signs and Side Effects of Too Much Insulin
- Treating Low Blood Sugar In Dogs: Symptoms and Causes Of Hypoglycemia
- Diabetes in Labradors Retrievers: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments