Many horrified owners suddenly find their beloved pet dogs having a hard time moving or walking as spasms engulf their bodies.
Dog Leg Spasms
The following are some of the possible causes of legs spasms:
- Trauma or injury to the hind legs. This is often a problem in stray dogs that get run over by vehicle but could also affect house pets.
- Neurological problems, including canine stress syndrome, could also be causing the spasms.
- Degenerative myelopathy is another cause as it weakens the back legs.
- Hypoglycemia due to diabetes.
- Brain tumors.
- Blockage in the blood vessels leading to the legs.
- Other ailments.
Dog Leg Sprain
- This problem can also cause leg spasms in dogs.
- The leg sprain is often caused by trauma or injury that the dog was subjected to. Even running can cause this problem, especially if the dog is large and stout.
Dog Leg Swelling
- Swelling can a symptom of leg spasms but could also be the reason behind the spasms. It is good for the owner to try to determine the underlying reason for either of the two.
Causes and Treatment
Bringing the dog to the vet can help save its life. This especially holds true of the problem was caused by very serious neurological problems. Treatments for the leg spasms depend upon the root cause:
- Injury and trauma-related spasms could be treated by fixing the broken bones and tissues.
- Dogs with neurologic problems may be treated using medications.
- For spasms due to ailments, these ailments must first be addressed before the spasms can be successfully eliminated.