What is Yeast Infection in Dog’s Ears?
- A common ear problem among dogs usually due to nutritional deficiencies.
- If given medical attention immediately, it can be treated easily with ear cleaners.
- Dogs that are prone to allergies develop yeast infection often.
- It occurs when there’s over-production of ear wax in which skin bacteria can thrive and bring about yeast development.
- Dog breeds with floppy ears are likely to experience this problem because their ear canals are not much exposed to light.
Yeast Infection in Dog’s Ears Treatment
- Gently clean the ears with a few drops of mild cleaning solution that is prescribed for the infection.
- Be careful not to touch the ear canal with the pointed tip of the bottle to avoid harm to the ear drum.
- Massage the base of the ear to spread the solution inside the ear canal.
- Medicated solutions like chlorhexidine can be applied after washing.
- The veterinarian may prescribe oral antibiotics or antihistamine to control the itching.
- Check Dogs Diet for any type of food allergies.
Yeast Infection in Dog’s Ears Symptoms
- There is an increased amount of ear wax that may be visibly pouring out of the ear canal.
- Ear wax has a pinkish-brown hue and emits bad smell.
- Through a doctor’s magnifying device, the ear tissue appears enlarged or thickened.
- Dog can experience excessive itching in the ears and rubbing of nose.
Yeast Infection in Dog’s Ears Home Remedy
- The doctor may recommend a solution containing acetic acid or boric acid that can be used for home remedy.
- The cleaning solution can be applied 7 to 10 times daily.
- Wipe off loosened ear debris that slides easily to the ear’s opening with a cotton ball.
- In the next few days of home ear cleaning, observe if the cotton ball comes off clean to signify that the excess ear wax is thoroughly eliminated. If so, cleaning routine can be reduced to once a week.
Canine Ear Yeast Infection
Ear yeast infection is one of the many ear problems that dogs may acquire. Here are some important facts about this condition.
- Yeast Infections commonly occur in the ear because of the presence of cerumen (ear wax)
- This is the most common ear problem that lands dogs in veterinary offices
- Floppy eared dogs are much more susceptible to the condition
- The condition is also called Malassezia Otitis
- Also read dog nose infection symptoms
Dog Ear Yeast Infection Causes
Yeast infections can happen for no reason at all. However, there are some common causes, including
- Adverse reaction to food or allergens
- Endocrine gland problems
Dogs that are suspected to have ear yeast infections may be prescribed the following diagnostic tests
- Physical exam ??” Done to check the condition of the ear tissue
- Medical history
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Ear Exam
- Also read how to treat ear mites in kittens
- Culture Studies ??” Done to help determine the strain of yeast; it may take up to 14 days before results are available for this test
Dog Ear Yeast Infection Symptoms..
- Increased cerumen production
- Foul odor in ear
- Pinkish-brown colored ear wax
- Change in texture of ear tissue
- Frequent scratching of affected ear
- Frequent head shaking
If the infection is a result of allergies, dogs may also show some signs of allergic reaction including
- Rubbing nose with paws
- Redness of eyes
It the infection is recurrent and happens during certain times of the year, there is a chance that it may be caused by an allergy.
Dog Ear Yeast Infection Treatment and Home Remedies
- Cleaning the ears
- Medicated solution wash
- Antibiotic ear ointments ??” Given because yeast infections usually come with bacterial infections. .
- Antihistamines ??” Given to help remedy itching and allergic reaction
- Steroids ??” Helps decrease inflammation
- Acetic acid solution with boric acid solution wash
- Changes in diets to avoid allergies
- Crate rest
- Cone collar to stop prevent scratching
- Smelly Dog Ears Home Remedies: How To Clean Dog Itchy and Stinky Ear
- Stinky Dog Ears: Causes, Home Remedies and Natural Stinky Ears Treatments
- Yeast Infection In Dogs (Canine) Skin: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- Dog Itchy Ears: Allergies, Causes and Home Remedies for Itchy Ears
- Itchy Ears in Dogs: Causes and Home Remedies to Treat Red Itchy Ears