Hip Dysplasia Causes in Labrador Retrievers
- It is very common to find hip dysplasia in Labrador Retrievers. Large breeds have these types of problems.
- It is caused by the hip bone not growing properly. The hip wiggles and wobbles around causing excessive movements. This can lead to bone spurs and arthritic conditions.
- Two common causes of hip dysplasia are malnutrition as a young pup, and excessive exercise.
- Puppies should play on dirt or grass surfaces when young.
- Read more about symptoms of ACL injury in dogs and shoulder injury dogs
Symptoms of Hyperplasia in Labs
- Some dogs may not show any signs until late in life. Be observant of any unusual sensitivity to picking him up or just touching him.
- The dog may show some difficulty in climbing stairs, or show trouble getting up after resting.
- Any lameness of an extremity should be investigated thoroughly.
- You may notice that your dog hides a lot or seems to seclude himself. Read the signs of hip problems in canines
Natural Treatment and Home Remedies for Hip Dysplasia in Labradors
- The dog’s diet is extremely important during the growing periods of youth. Give lean meats and plenty of vegetables.
- Avoid letting the dog get overweight.
- Good exercise is important. Choose activities that provide good muscle tone but don’t cause pain to the joints. Swimming is a perfect sport for dogs with this hip problem.
- If your dog lives outside, bring him in where it is always warm and dry. Cold aggravates this potentially debilitating condition.
- Make bedding very soft and cushion like for comfort.
- Information on how to treat laryngeal paralysis in labs
- Surgery can be attempted to treat this hip dysphasia when pain becomes intolerable. This depends on the dog’s age and health in general.
- Elbow Dysplasia in Labrador Retrievers: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Muscle Pain in Dogs: Symptoms, Causes and Natural Home Remedies
- Dog Flu Remedies: Home Remedies and Natural Treatment for Dog Flu
- Dog Hot Spots Allergies: Causes, Natural Home Remedies and Treatment
- Diarrhea in Cats: Causes, Home Remedies and Natural Treatment