Causes of Hypothyroidism in Labrador Retrievers
- The causes of hypothyroidism in Labrador Retrievers appear to be genetic.
- It is common to the Labradors breed. It is a disease that involves the endocrine system.
- The hormone that regulates metabolism and weight is not produced in sufficient quantities for proper growth and development. The deficiency creates problems with skin, hair, nails, and weight.
- Read more about causes of thyroid diseases in dogs and hip problems in dogs
Labradors Hypothyroidism Symptoms
- There will be increased shedding and loss of hair, especially around the legs and back areas.
- Weight loss will occur.
- Fertility issues present themselves. Male dogs will have a decreased sperm count, and females heat cycle will be off schedule. The dogs may lose interest in mating.
- Also read female dog heat cycle duration
- Skin irritations will be increased. The skin may become dry and flaky or oil laden and greasy. Itching and scratching can lead to an increase in secondary bacterial infections.
- The skin around the groin may become dark and blackened.
- Nails may become very brittle and weak. They may break and cause increased infections and discomfort to your pet.
- Read about the incontinence in dogs causes and their treatments
Natural Treatments and Home Remedies for Hypothyroidism Labs
- The dog needs to be given the thyroid hormone on a daily schedule to accommodate the low levels his body is producing naturally.
- Sometimes taking the medicine encourages the dogs body to start making the hormone itself again.
- Regardless, some dose will be needed to supplement the dogs natural manufacturing of this vital hormone. Every 6 months, levels of thyroxine should be measured so the dose can be adjusted accordingly.
- This simple fix can assure the dog can live a completely normal and long life.
- One more effective treatment for hypothyroidism is to maintain good skin integrity and Treat any irritations promptly to avoid infections.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used to decrease itchy dry skin. Oatmeal baths can help to naturally help the body retain moisture.
- Keep nails trimmed and short to prevent getting them caught on items and ripping off. Prevent infections at all costs.