How To Identify Lameness
- Labradors are prone to many bone and joint disorders because of their large size. Lameness can occur in dogs for a variety of reasons.
- There are several acute and chronic incidents that may cause lameness in Labradors.
- Acute trauma can sometimes lead to a temporary lameness. Broken bones from jumping off furniture or falling can also produce lameness.
- Infections, cancers, arthritis, and hereditary disorders like hip or elbow dysplasias can all cause a dog to be lame.
- If your dog has lump anywhere in body, read lumps in labs
Symptoms of Limping in Labs
Dogs are not known for vocalizing pain and discomfort freely. Symptoms of lameness in Labradors can include inflammation and redness around joints or on the extremity’s.
- Keep a close eye on lumps that grow and cause increasing more discomfort to your dog.
- Watch out for decreased appetite or the dog secluding himself. This may be the dogs way of showing pain.
- A wobbly gait or difficulty raising or lowering himself should be monitored.
Treatments and Home Remedies
- Seeing a dog in a weakened position and lame is a very heartbreaking ordeal.
- Know what normal behavior is for your fuzzy buddy.
- Dogs can’t tell us that they just jumped off the porch and sprained something or that they have a lump at a joint in their leg that hurts like heck.
- As pet owners we must be good detectives and search avidly for what might have caused our dog to exhibit lameness.
- It is easy to say that Fido isn’t getting around as much as he used to because he is getting old. That may be true, but there could be serious underlying problems that need addressed too.
- Do not hesitate to call the emergency vet clinic or make an appointment for an office visit for any symptoms that are not normal for your dog.
- Lameness that comes on suddenly without any type of provocation is not normal.
- If the bone appears to be dislodged or broken, immobilize the limb to avoid further injury.
- As a home remedy, be certain you are preparing the most nutritious diet available for your pet. Good health helps healing to go smoother and quicker. Read also what are the natural appetite suppressant for canines