Causes of Panosteitis in Labs
- This disease effects large breed dogs that have extremely rapid growth spurts when they are very young. It most often affects dogs that have not had good nutrition early in life to help with bone growth.
Symptoms of Panosteitis in Labradors Retrievers
- Symptoms of panosteitis in Labradors seems to set in before the pup is 6 months old and can be rectified well before the dog turns 1 with proper care.
- A sudden onset of pain occurs as well as a lameness in extremities. In Labs, it is usually the back legs that are involved. Surprisingly, the weakness seems to alternate between any and all extremities at different times.
Treatments of Panosteitis (Painful Bone Disease) In Labradors
- Diet and pain relief are two of the most important things to consider when anticipating good treatments for your little puppy.
- Keeping the dogs weight in check helps to avoid unnecessary strain on the joints of the extremities.
- It is advised to give the effected pup buffered aspirin at least an hour before scheduled exercise so that his range of motion is not limited in any way.
- Also read puppy shots cost
- Also read hip dislocation in dogs
- Good nourishment and proper vitamin supplements are essential to a speedy and thorough recovery.
- Exercise and play times must be done in extremely monitored and controlled environments to prevent further injuries. Absolutely no rough play can be allowed.
- The pup cannot be allowed to run free at all at this point in time.
- Fish and salmon oils can help a lot to decrease inflammation in the sore joints. Vitamin C and E will also assist in cutting down inflammation, and in giving a well needed boost to the immune system.
- Do not feed puppies adult dog foods. There is way too much calcium and proteins for the dogs size. This may cause growth that is much too fast for the rest of the body.
- Foods and portions fed must match the dogs particular growth rate and present size. Over feeding can be just as detrimental as undernourishment. It ultimately can cause problems with lameness in the pups extremities.
- More information on hemangiosarcoma in labrador retrievers and its treatment.
- Bone Cancer in Labradors: Causes, Treatment for Osteosarcoma in Labs
- Joint Problems in Labradors: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments and Remedies
- Diabetes in Labradors Retrievers: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
- Fungal Infections in Labradors: Causes, Treatments for Labs Fungal Infection
- Kidney Failure in Labradors: Symptoms and Treatments for Renal Failure